Monday, September 17, 2012

a leap (or click) of faith

Photography has always fascinated me. 

In the beginning it was Mr. Sarvas' instant Polaroid camera.  My mom's photo albums are filled with photos that she has written "taken by Christin".  Now some of them are missing heads, some are crooked and some of them aren't that bad. 

In grade school I was exposed (pun intended) to my first photography class where I moved from the instant Polaroid to a film loaded point and shoot.  I vividly recall lining up random knick knacks like coca-cola bottles, monopoly game pieces, a tennis ball or two, etc. out in my driveway playing with the shadows. 

When I got to college I was fortunate enough to come across an old film SLR and the opportunity to develop my own film.  It was the most amazing experience ever.  I loved watching the shots I took come to life in front of my own eyes.  One of my favorite pictures that I have ever taken is of my sister, I took during this phase. 

Then life got in the way.  There was a lot of pressure to, that I realize for the most part I put on myself, focus on what I was going to do with my life.  The social pressure to choose a major, get good grades, graduate and get working took over as my front and center. 

Fast forward to today.  I'm a "grown up" in most senses of the word.  I have a degree (that I don't exactly use), I own a home, I have a (fabulous, amazing, xoxo) husband, I'm a mom -to a very lovable Golden Retriever, and I have a job.  Yes, a job, but not a career.  Therefore, I recently started to do some grown up pros and cons listing and soul searching.  That's when I stumbled across my mom's photo of me with Mr. Sarvas' camera and something "clicked" and I thought, why not? 

So here goes... I'm pressing the shutter and I can't wait to see what develops.

1 comment:

  1. Great photos and exposition -- with your crisp writing and photographic talents, this will be a fun blog; glad you decided to do it!

    ReplyDelete